I can't see any fixing points on my Ford Focus
Posted by Elliot @ The Roof Box Company on 23 February 2010 05:21 PM

If you have a MKII Ford Focus, manufactured between 2004 - 2008 and you are struggling to find the fixed points to fit your roof bars, we have found that Ford sometimes cover the fitting points on the roof which can make them initially difficult to locate. This is usually a mastic sprayed the same colour as your car. We have also known them to use a plastic cover or even paint. You should find that you can prize the mastic off with your nails or a screwdriver.

See the attachment for a guide on how to find your fixing points.

Attachments

howtofindfocusfixpoints.pdf (2.09 MB)
(77 votes)
This article was helpful
This article was not helpful

Comments (5)
Martin rogers
27 July 2011 06:34 PM
This is actually true! But it requires a leap of faith to take your tools to perfectly good paintwork. I went to my local ford dealer in reading today and was told my 09 focus 1.6 tdci zetec didnt have fixing points as they were a factory option. This turned out to be rubbish. I can't guarantee ALL cars will be like mine so dont blame me if yours isn't, but I found that before I started digging out the rubber I could tell it wasn't metal under the paint by pressing into it with my finger nail. I was all set to send my lovely new roof box back but am so glad I don't have to now :-)
By the way, the rubber was really thick at about 1cm so you might have to remove quite a bit
Andrew Phillips
19 January 2012 01:23 PM
Yes, take a screwdriver to the plastic beneath the removable slots, the fixings points are really there ! - The instructions provided were not too great, but luckily this article is......
Jack Stone
17 March 2012 10:25 PM
Seems too unbelievable, but yes it's true....under a rubbery layer, in the middle of the slot, is the fixed point screw point. Nothing in the Ford Focus manual about it....did they expect us to just know that we had to pick away at a rubber layer to get to it?! I've a Ford Focus 1.6 Estate 2008. Happy hunting!
David Cook
03 June 2012 05:56 PM
THANK YOU! A couple of hours ago I was cursing outside on my driveway, unsure whether I had the wrong fitting kit or if someone had forgotten to drill holes in my 57 reg Focus. But then I found this article which has saved me loads of bother! Great stuff thanks.
Gordon Davies
20 September 2012 05:08 PM
I even spoke to my local Ford Main Dealer who claimed I had to lift up the rubber surround to the door frame to access the holes, and that was with me supplying registration number etc. Roofbox helpline sorted me out, thankfully.
Help Desk Software by Kayako fusion